This list was before two kids. This list was before I had real deal responsibilities, like making and cleaning up after 3 squares a day and making sure my oldest doesn’t torture my youngest, or something equally as fun. This was a list of my dreams and many of them easily obtainable. It was written in 2011, when I was 29. I am now 33. See list briefly, judge me on tardiness, dock me for incompletion, and meet me back at this point.
Life happens. Or shit happens, depending on whether you are a glass half-full or empty-type-of-person. We get going in the monotony of our day to day that we forget our dreams or ideas of how to make our lives more happy, challenging, and full. Isn’t that our purpose on this earth? To take care of ourselves and others, have some fun, hone some skillz, and honor and remember those we love? I think so.
I have put this out there to start a conversation. I am interested to hear what’s on your list. I may or may not steal some ideas for my new one: 40 before 40. I *think* I have enough time.
30 before 30 List
- Join an group-intellectual, emotional, giving etc-Joined a women’s group nearly 3 years ago. Love those awesome ladies!
- Habitat for Humanity- helped out with the TPUMC 2015 Mission trip just this past week. Great fun.
- Successfully grow a garden-Summer 2015 The basil and dill is eeking along…time will tell.
- Make a cleaning schedule and stick to it- Tried this a few years back, was way too ambitious and failed miserably.
- Create a piece of art worth “professionally” framing
- Open a flower shop- bahahaha Yeah, no. Uh Uh. I’m doing good to do events out of my mother’s house on frequent trips to San Antonio. I can see this (maybe) way down the line once the littles are in school full time.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters-has evolved to Drive a Senior September 2015
- Cultivate a new group of friends
- Regularly attend yoga…I’ve realized this is just not me. I am looking forward to Kundalini Yoga in a park on our upcoming San Francisco trip. Random yoga is more my style.
- New York City- Christmas 2016???
- Landscape (design) the front and back yard
- Grief counselling- Since I wrote this list I’ve lost someone (again) who was very dear to me. Do we ever really work through the pain of losing someone special? I feel as though I might be numb or desensitized to death. Need help with this one.
- Wear a bikini (tankini?)-Realistic goal?
- Volunteer at the Majestic and San Pedro playhouse DID IT back in 2007. Great fun and got to see nearly an entire show for “free.” I feel I won’t go down this road again until I’m 70.
- Start and maintain a book a week reading schedule-need this
- Take a radio voice class
- Have a fondue party-I think my neighbor Chris could make me do this one.
- Attend a book binding class
- Attend the gym regularly- my fairly recently acquired FitBit is pushing me towards this one.
- Learn how to apply eye makeup correctly 2014/2015 In 2014 I discovered the genius that is YouTube. Yeah, I know, I’m a late bloomer. Also, I still suck at eye liner.
- Know how to use all of our electronics-this will probably be on the list at 50
- Maintain a small email inbox-organize- My friend Andria just helped me begin this process by showing me a nifty thing called “the swipe” Thanks Andria!
- Camping at Big Bend- anyone have any tips for camping with kiddos?
- Befriend the elderly- Drive a senior September 2015
- Attend a hat making class- really
- Invite Chavez family for a backyard bbq-some of the best neighbors of all time. One of those families you want to adopt you or at least have you over for delicious coffee bread and a good chat. Will make this happen one day.
- Get rid of all unwanted furniture- DID IT August 2014 before our move from Frisco to Pflugerville Best.Feeling.Ever.
- Go swimming in that cave pool- see clipping in travel scrap book or click here. This is an easily obtainable goal now that “that cave pool” is just south of where we reside. Waiting for school to start and the crowds to die down before reaching this one.
- Marathon-for Cindy and my dad- I just ran for the first time a few weeks ago. It hurt like hell. This goal may be eons away.
- Walk dogs daily
Sand, seal, and install gardening/bar sink- this was a giant sink unit we pulled out of our 1920’s kitchen..sat under the carport and eventually was stolen by metal pickers. Heartbreak!
Keep poop out of yard- haha
Take a glass blowing class
Take a dance class-master it!- For those that know me, take a moment to laugh.
Form a habit of completion- Says it all.