Back-to-School: whether it makes you want to shout, “Hooray!” or plug your ears in denial (sorry, teachers!) the beginning of the school year is just around the corner.
If you love to craft or want to make a little something special to celebrate the season, here are some ideas to inspire your Back-to-School Crafting:
Book Bags and Pencil Cases
- Check out this free and easy tutorial for a cute Rectangular Backpack.
- Here’s a link for 20 different DIY Backpack Tutorials
- This Shark Pencil case is the cutest thing I’ve seen in quite a while!
- This Triangular Pencil case looks cutesy, but remember that fabric choice makes a huge difference! Have a Star Wars fan? There’s fabric for that!
- Do you learn better by watching videos? Here’s a YouTube tutorial on how to make a Pencil case.
- For the ultimate meta-statement, a Pencil-shaped Pencil Pouch.
Gifts for Teachers
- What teacher wouldn’t love these notebook paper-style tote bags?
- The technique for these Sharpie tie-dye book marks also works on fabric (t-shirts, tote bags, etc.)
- I love the idea of this Teacher Emergency Kit! For those of us who don’t have vinyl stencil cutting machines, a red cross made out of washi tape or a decoupaged laser printer image with modge podge would work great.
- This Apple Jar will never go bad, and you can fill with your favorite treat for your teacher.
- Does your child tote around an iPad? Here are 8 clever and easy DIY iPad covers.
- Many schools are requiring students to use flash drives, unfortunately, they sometimes have a hard time standing up to a young person’s day-to-day life. Check out this (allegedly) waterproof and smash-proof DIY flash drive.
- Are you tired of tangled headphone cords? You can use the Chinese Staircase knotting method on headphone cords to make the cords thicker, which reduces tangles.
- Another option for tangled cords – a simple Roll-Up Cord Organizer.
- Infinity scarves are still trendy. This is a simple tutorial from Martha Stewart on making your own Infinity Scarf.
- How about making a bunch of friendship bracelets to give to friends? This post has links for 15 Friendship Bracelet tutorials.
- Make your own Lunch Bag (or 2 or 3 extras!)
- Check out these 17 New Ways to Cover Your Books – not your typical tacky book covers!
- These cute Monster Bookmarks are a great way to mark your place (and maybe help cure the corner-turning habit)!
- Is your young person interested in learning to knit? These knitting instructions are kid-friendly and knitting is a great meditative and relaxing activity – a perfect way to take a break from studying.
Home Study & Organization DIY
- If you have access to a staple gun, you can make a cute, fabric covered Lap Desk, no sewing required!
- Back to school schedules can sometimes be hard to organize, this Magnetic Calendar DIY allows you to customize your family’s calendar in way that’s neat and organized.
- Let your little person choose their perfect study are with this Portable Desk.
- Does packing school lunches drive you crazy? Use this How To Pack Your Lunch printable to help foster your children’s independence and get them packing their own lunches.
See anything that inspires you? Have any favorite Back-To-School DIYs that we didn’t include? Please share them with us!